Pages

Sunday 18 December 2016

Festivelle 2016 – My experience – Lots of fun -Totally unedited


I had driven down from Pune to attend Festivelle 2016. I was there at the event to network for my upcoming book ‘Samaira and the gang in London.’ (More on that later for here I want to talk about Festivelle - the first women only event organized by two lovely ladies- Gul Panag and Shruti Seth)

I reached the venue well in time and was happy to experience a vibe similar to what I used to get in our college festivals – a blend of uninhibited enthusiasm and positive energy. Organizers were scurrying for getting things ready. I also saw Shruti running around trying to take care of last minute stuff.

There was a beautiful Festivelle logo at the entrance. I clicked a pic and tweeted about it.


I walked past the line-up of beautiful stalls and entered the beach facing garden. As I stood there clueless on where to go, Shruti volunteered to help and directed me to the first session of the day. It was quite pleasing to see Shruti extend all hospitality to guests like me and help us find our way.

First session of the day – Lessons from Kim Kardashian
Panelists- Gul Panag, Miss Malini and Kiran Manral


The hall was slowly filling up but it was nice that the Festivelle team stuck to its schedule. The discussion between Gul, Miss Malini and Kiran Manral was a perfect kick start to this women only event. They spoke about how the first instinct of women is to uplift other women, which we should never forget.
Gul spoke about how she was just another student at a college in Patiala, and how she got an opportunity to participate in a beauty pageant and from there, how she made the most of every opportunity that came her way. She also spoke about her recent entrepreneurial venture Mobiefit – focussing on fitness centered mobile apps.  
Miss Malini shared her experience about being a woman in the digital space, the do’s and dont's for sharing information on social media and how her blog turned into a successful business venture -thanks to her passion. She also advised not to say anything on social media that you would not in personal life. Kiran Manral, the moderator for the session, was grace personified. She conducted the session with a lot of panache.
When someone asked - ‘How to build your personal brand on social media’, Gul nailed it by saying - Be who you are! Be natural! Be unique!
My take away from the discussion - 
Stop wearing your gender over your sleeve. Just be!

During the discussion, I saw Gul looking at her phone a couple of times. While contributing her wise nuggets at the session, she also kept a tab on the twitter conversations about Festivelle. In fact, she retweeted the Festivelle logo pic that I had tweeted a few minutes ago, during this session itself, never losing her presence of mind in the process.


Post the session I met Gul and requested her for a selfie. She was extremely warm and gracious. What struck me was the fact that she was hounded by requests from 100s of women like me for selfies and she was equally warm to each. In fact, she made sure that each one of us got a perfect picture, with proper light and pose.- Who wouldn’t love her for that!

Second session of the day – We are our Hormones
Panelists -Dr. Sheetal Sabharwal, Naiyya Saggi, and Sonali Gupta

It was truly a fun session and I must give full marks to the moderator, Naiyya Saggi, who conducted it so well. Before beginning the session, Naiyya suggested that we hug the person sitting next to us (yes, you can suggest such things only at ‘no men’ events) Naiyya told us to share one thing that we are most proud of with this person. My neighbor was this pretty lady from Future Group -Priya Udani, who had come with her colleagues. Apparently, Future group had sent their women to have fun at this event while men had a working day at the office.

Wonderful tweetable quotes came out of this session-
‘Sex is to be enjoyed between the years and not between the legs’ said one of the panelists while answering a question on why women have lesser sex drive than men. I tweeted this cool thought and I must mention this tweet of mine got the maximum impressions, retweets, and likes. No wonder!

Discussions also veered towards how mothers eat the leftover food of their kids as they don’t want to waste it. Another quotable quote was spoken by one of the panelists on this topic– ‘It is better to waste it than put it on your waist!’

There was also a funny discussion around the term Starfish Sex (I know most of you will google this term. Go do it cos I am not revealing its meaning here J )

My takeaways from the session -
 Although it is our hormones that drive us, and we are bound to feel low on a few days, but we can cheat our hormones by –
Doing things that make us truly happy, indulging in self-care (as women, we completely ignore this) and building a positive narrative about our life to motivate us during low times.

I met Naiyya Saggi outside and complemented her for conducting the session so well. She spoke about her entrepreneurial venture Babychakra and looking at my phone quickly suggested to download the app. I did!

I realized I was hungry so I quickly grabbed a Paneer tikka wrap and a mocktail. Must say - very reasonably priced and very tasty too.

Third Session of the day – It’s good to be a bad mom
Srishti Arya, Pooja Bedi, Mini Mathur, Lalita Iyer and Shubha Shetty




I was so looking forward to this session. My favorite anchor Mini Mathur was part of the panel. Actually,  it was for her that I had driven down all the way from Pune, to meet and discuss my upcoming book. (more on that later)
It is an absolute delight to watch Mini Mathur on and off stage. She is so full of energy and has such positive vibes. Her views on motherhood – ‘Only a happy individual can make a happy mom’- which is why it is so important that you continue with your careers and pursue your passions even after becoming a mom. Srishti shared how in the initial motherhood years, she felt guilty of not spending enough time with her baby, and in most cases, the guilt came not from her kiddo but from other moms. She also said- 'All kids get the mother they need.' I guess it’s time we mothers bury the guilt card for good.

Mini also said that if children see a happy fulfilled individual in their mom, they become that. She further mentioned – ‘The quality of time that you give to your child matters much more than the quantity.’

Pooja Bedi shared some interesting personal stories about raising her kids, disciplining them, hiring help for less important stuff (read cooking), so that she could give her best time to kids and balance career and life.

Srishti Arya shared how, one day, her son complained that she doesn’t bake for him like his friend’s mom did. Srishti said “I told him that I don’t compare your marks with your friend so you don’t compare me to anyone. You talk to me and I talk to you.” Indeed, a smart answer from a smart mom. Result -Her son stopped those mommy comparisons immediately.

I loved this discussion and wish it could be longer for it was an absolute delight to hear parenting experiences of these ladies. Mini stated that she hates those moms who run around to put their kids in every possible class in town (how I love her for saying that). Lalita Iyer said it so well –“By sending kids to school, you are already putting them in a box, how many more boxes will you create?”

My takeaways from the session-
There is more than one kind of a good mother. Very well said. I certainly feel less guilty for not spending as much time with my kiddo as stay-at-home moms do.

Post the session, I went for some Retail therapy. I particularly liked the collection of this beautiful Lady -Himangi who brought her brand Myaara - all the way from Delhi. She looked chic in her white wrap around dress. In fact, most people were drawn to her stall cos of this lovely white dress she wore. Must say she simply looked stunning. She told me she doesn’t make anything that she herself would not wear. That’s a cool thought. Way to go Myaara! She was also kind enough to offer her power bank as my mobile battery was dying.

Another interesting stall was ‘The Butternut Co.’ I loved the organic stuff they had, tasted a few flavors and bought the peanut butter flavour. It was absolutely yummy.

Another stall owner I interacted was Bays. Yes her name was Bays. (She told me the story behind this name, which I am not telling here) Quite unique. She also had a very nice collection. She introduced me to her soon to be hubby. It was quite nice chatting with her.

Last session of the day: Sisterhood- Cheaper than a Shrink
Mini Mathur, Jaya Misra, and Maria Goretti




3 of these panelists are dear friends and are besties for long. No wonder the Festivelle team had carefully chosen them to be part of this discussion on Sisterhood. They shared their hilarious personal anecdotes, stories from only girls holiday trips and the super fun that they have without their kids and hubbies and how it is important for each woman to have at least one women bestie in her life!

Mini said that there are times in everyone’s life that you suddenly spiral into a well and you need someone who can help you zoom out of the situation and change your perspective. Wonderfully crafted words. Told you Mini. You should write!

They spoke about their whatsapp group called ‘Jai mata di mental hospital’. Next time I meet Mini I want to ask if it’s for real J

Maria shared her love for cooking and if something goes wrong with her friendships, she tries to make it through her cooking. Mini said she bribes people with her culinary skills.

All in all a wonderful session. All 3 of them echoed the same sentiment – If and when you find your tribe, hold close to them, cos girls need other girls as their best friends. Amen!

Maria shared her cookery book with a pair of besties from the audience. She told them to share pics of the food they prepare using her recipes. Maria’s passion for cooking and her book was admirable. She gave me a valuable tip – “You write books because you want to. So when you put yours up in the market don’t break your heart if it doesn’t fetch you money. You do it, cos you love it! Period.” Point taken Mam.

Post the session, all the women walked upto these lovely ladies for selfies. They did the needful so very graciously. I must say -If the spirit of Festivelle was about bringing women together and uplifting each other, these women were the best champions of that spirit.

I met Gul Panag on my way out and congratulated her for the brilliant show. She gave me a warm hug for that!

Gul and Shruti - Cheers to both of you! Already looking forward to the next Festivelle. God bless you and May your tribe grow!


P.S. - Neha Kare – I missed meeting you and your session. I am sure you rocked as always! Love to You!






No comments:

Post a Comment